Follow if you are a writer and/or dreamer . . . or if you're just awesome.

Friday, November 12, 2010

What We Were Busy Doing

We have been busy lately making pumpkin to store in the freezer for later use in breads, pies and cakes, etc. It's actually a lot harder than you think. I made it myself this year, I grew the pumpkins in the garden all by myself 'cause no one wanted to help me. We picked them a couple of days ago and now I finally got around to making some. I'll post directions on it if anyone's interested.




Step one: Gut out pumpkin as if you were going to carve it into a jack o' latern. Make sure all of the seeds are out. Save seeds for roasted pumpkin seeds.






Step 2: Cut pumpkin in halves, then into quarters. Scrape out remaining pumpkin slop. Place as much of the pumpkin as you can into a roasting pan. Fill with just enough water to cover the bottom. Here is a picture of two quarters ready to go into the oven. Roast pumpkin in 300 degree oven from 1-1 1/2  hours.


Step 3: After pumpkin has cooled, peel the skin off the soft pumpkin. Cut into cubes.

    Side note: Here's a goofy face I made when Clarissa wanted to take pictures of me. That's how much I hate it. But I did think that it would be helpful to put the pictures on the blog, as long as she let me put one of her too.
 Step 4: Put pumkin cubes into food processor. Grind 'em up until they are pretty fine. Then scoop it all out and put it into a freezer bag and . . .


Label it and put it in the freezer and Waaalaa! You have homemade canned pumpkin! And please don't tell me that I could have saved all that work and went to the grocery store and bought a can of pumpkin for 89 cents. I don't want to hear it. 100% organic, 100% additive free.

    Wow, what a lot of fun! Lots of pictures, I don't care, you can know my identity if you really want to. We didn't even do this today, we did it two days ago though.

     Something terrible (but kinda funny if you're lightearted about most things like me) happened today. I'm too tired to write more right now. I'll let you know all about it tommorow.

As always, shy homeschooler, crazy redhead kid, terrible driver, your friend,
Mattie R.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there!
Thanks for reading my blog! I love comments, so leave one =)