Follow if you are a writer and/or dreamer . . . or if you're just awesome.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Book Review: The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Teens by Sean Covey

  Hi Ya'll--I'm going to be doing a book review every now and then based on what I'm reading and how much I liked it. I know some of you don't quite yet fit into the "teen" category, but this is the book I just finished reading so it's pretty fresh in my mind.



The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Teens is exactly what the title portrays: The Seven Habits
  1. Be Proactive
  2. Begin with the End in Mind
  3. Put First Things First
  4. Think Win-win
  5. Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood
  6. Synergize
  7. Sharpen the Saw
   I found this book hard to put down. It is very inspirational but is written for the teen's short attention span. It motivated me to go out and do things, to straighten the areas of my life that needed to be straightened, and to make goals and strenghten my relationships. I really liked the little side cartoons, too.
     This book isn't Christian, but it isn't completely secular either. Covey does encourage you to seek God, but he isn't endorsing Christianity and the Bible. There are some tough subjects covered like drugs, alcohol, etc. but these things do exist in real life and should be taken in stride.
     Sometimes it seemed like he could possibly be talking down to his readers. (not a lot though) and it may be hard to read from a Homeschool viewpoint, though the advice is helpful to homeschoolers, too.
     I liked Covey's informal viewpoint and how it seemed like he was talking to me. One part of the book I especially liked was a part where it helps you to discover you're true personality. At the end of each Habit it also gives you a list of things to do in real life to help you live out that habit.
     Here's an example from one habit: Pinpoint when and where it is most difficult for you to refrain from gossip. Is it with a certain friend, in the locker room, during lunch? Come up with a plan of action to avoid it.     
     I think the best part of it is the way he gives you ideas on how to make each habit a part of your life. There's obviously a reason why this book is a bestseller, and I know that the reason is basically because it's just a great book. I would recommend this for ages 13 (the absolute youngest) to about 20.
     My rating:   * * * * out of five.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting. By the way, Thank you for following my blog! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother has that book. Funny part is that he HATES reading. We are opposites when it comes to that. You can't keep me off the commputer. So ironic.
    BTW: I had no idea you were homeschooled. I am too! That is why I am blogging while I am supposed to be doing school!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there!
Thanks for reading my blog! I love comments, so leave one =)